Gulu

Category: gulu Published: Thursday, 20 August 2015 Written by Super User

Welcome to the Archdiocese of Gulu! Find on this website information about the history of the diocese, its bishops (the Ordinary, and his Auxiliary), the main functions in the diocese, diocesan statistics, religious communities of men and women with their respective addresses, other institutions including seminaries, catechetical centre, hospitals and health centres, parishes, centres with resident priests, diocesan and relgious priests with their dates of ordination

BRIEF HISTORY

Gulu, like all the territories along the Nile valley, belonged to the Apostolic Vicariate of Central Africa created in 1846, and which had been suspended because of too many deaths of missionaries. The sons and daughters of St. Daniel Comboni who were the first missionaries in Gulu had been there for a while.

The Vicariate of Central Africa was eventually re-activated and entrusted to Msgr. Daniel Comboni with the same boundaries of 1846. In 1877 he was promoted Bishop and Vicar Apostolic with his See in Khartoum. With the help of many explorers and commanders, Saint Daniel Comboni had studied and planned to push southward down to Uganda. Even so the Roman Authorities did not allow him to proceed.

Before Comboni’s death (1881) a Decree of Propaganda Fide had moved the southern boundary to the 10th degree latitude north and rectified the boundaries. On the 15th January, 1894 the boundary for Equatorial Nile was taken back to the 2nd degree latitude north. On 13th July, 1894 the “Uganda Vicariate” was finally established South of Victoria Nile. Thus, it was a satisfactory arrangement.

The Ecclesiastical Territory under the See of Gulu was created as an autonomous circumscription on 12th June, 1923 under the care of the Most Reverend Monsignor Antonio Vignato (1923-1933). It was then known as Apostolic Prefecture. On 10th December, 1934 it became what was known as Equatorial Nile under the care of Arua. On 1st December, 1950 it became a Diocese with His Excellency Bishop John Baptist Cesana (1950-1969) as the Ordinary.

From its large area were later detached the Dioceses of: Arua in 1958, Moroto in 1965, and Lira in 1968. December 1968, His Excellency Bishop Cipriano Dr. Kihangire was nominated by His Holiness Pope Paul VI, Bishop of Gulu and took possession of Gulu Diocese on 20th April, 1969 (died on 1st November, 1989). On 11th January, 1987 His Excellency Bishop Martin Luluga was ordained Auxiliary Bishop of Gulu. He became Apostolic Administrator of Gulu in 1988 and was confirmed as Bishop of Gulu on 22nd February, 1990. He was installed as Bishop of Gulu on 12th April, 1990 (1988-1999).

On 30th January, 1999 His Holiness Pope John Paul II announced the erection of Gulu Diocese to a Metropolitan Archdiocese of Gulu and the Ecclesiastical Province of Gulu consisting of the three suffragan Dioceses of Arua, Lira and Nebbi.

 

ORDINARY

His Grace John B. Odama.

His Grace John Baptist Odama was born on 20th June, 1947 at Riki-Oluko in Arua District. He was ordained priest on 14th December, 1974 at Rhino Camp Parish. On 15th March, 1996 His Holiness Pope John Paul II elected him the first Bishop of the newly created Diocese of Nebbi and on 26th May, 1996 he was consecrated at Nebbi Cathedral as the Bishop by His Eminence Emmanuel Cardinal Wamala.

The Holy Father, on 30th January 1999, appointed Bishop John Baptist Odama as the first Metropolitan Archbishop of the newly created Archdiocese of Gulu in the Gulu Ecclesiastical Province with Arua, Nebbi and Lira as suffragan dioceses. He was installed as the first Metropolitan Archbishop of Gulu On 10th April, 1999.

DIOCESE ADDRESS
 
Archbishop’s House
P.O.Box 200, GULU, Uganda
Tel: 0471-432026, 0772- 602943 Fax: +256 4714  434860
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web page address:  www.archdioceseofgulu.org
 

Statistics

Functions

Parishes

Priests

Catholic Founded Schools

Health Services

Congregations

Other institutions

 

Hits: 7761

Who's Online

We have 15 guests and no members online

Counter