Welcome to the Archdiocese of Mbarara! Find on this website information about the history of the diocese, its bishops (the Ordinary, his Auxiliary, bishop Emeritus), the main functions in the diocese, diocesan statistics, religious communities of men and women with their respective addresses, other institutions including seminaries, catechetical centre, hospitals and health centres, parishes, centres with resident priests, diocesan and relgious priests with their dates of ordination
In the year 1900 Bishop Streicher, Vicar Apostolic of the Vicariate of North Nyanza, sent two White Father Missionaries (Missionaries of Africa) to South Western Uganda to explore the possibility of introducing Catholicism. These were Fr. Lebros and Bro. Hermann Kock.
The two approached Nkore, the present geographical area which is now Mbarara Archdiocese, through Kooki, in Masaka Diocese. Joseph Rutebemberwa, one of the pioneer catechists led them. A son of that catechist, Msgr. Thomas Bishanga, became the second priest of Mbarara, having been ordained in 1944.
On arrival of the missionaries, Kahaya II, the then King of Karo-Karungi gave Nyamitanga Hill to them to set up their quarters and chapel. This later became the seat and foundation of their mission and is presently the Diocesan Centre of Mbarara Archdiocese.
In 1909, Fr. Borrel opened Rugazi mission, now Rugazi Parish. In the same year, Fathers Letohic and Lefleur opened Rushoroza mission in Kabale, Kigezi. In October 1912, Fathers Bringuier, Nicolet and Bro. Tobie Kizza, the first African Brother to join the White Fathers, opened Ibanda Mission. In 1919 Fr. Lefleur founded Kitabi Mission.
THE RWENZORI VICARIATE
Rwenzori Vicariate was carved out of the Vicariate of Uganda on 28th March 1934. The new Ecclesiastical territory then covered the political districts of Western Uganda, i.e. Nkore, Kigezi, Toro and Bunyoro.The present Archdiocese of Mbarara covers the following districts; Mbarara, Ibanda, Kiruhura, Isingiro, Bushenyi, and Ntungamo
On July 25th 1934, Fr. Francis-Xavier Lacoursiere of the White Fathers was ordained first Bishop of Rwenzori Vicariate. Nyamitanga in Mbarara became the seat of the Vicariate. The size of the Vicariate was 400 square miles with 13 missions.
On 25th March 1953, Rwenzori Vicariate assumed status of a diocese. In 1956 F.X. Lacoursiere retired after 21 years as Diocesan Bishop. The second Bishop of Mbarara Diocese was Jean Marie Ogez, Ordained on 26th August 1957. Due to poor health, Bishop Ogez retired in October 1968.
The third ordinary and first indigenous African Bishop is John Baptist Kakubi. He was appointed on 5th July 1969 and ordained Bishop on 1st August 1969. He retired on 23rd November 1991. The present Archbishop Paul K. Bakyenga is the fourth Bishop of Mbarara. He was appointed Bishop Coadjutor of Mbarara, 1st April 1989, ordained Bishop on 24th June 1989, and became Bishop Ordinary of Mbarara on 23rd November 1991. He was installed Archbishop of Mbarara on 11th July 1999.
On 30th January 1999, the Holy See elevated Mbarara to an Archdiocese and Metropolitan See of the Western Uganda Ecclesiastical Province, with Paul Bakyenga as its first Archbishop. The installation ceremony of Archbishop Paul K. Bakyenga took place on 11th July 1999. Mbarara Archdiocese shares borders with Fort Portal and Kasese Dioceses in the north, Bukoba Diocese, Tanzania in the south, Masaka Diocese in the east and Kabale Diocese in the west.
Rev. Archbishop Paul Bakyenga
Most Rev. Archbishop Paul Bakyenga, was born at Bumbaire, Igara, Kitabi Parish, Mbarara Archdiocese on 30th June, 1944. Ordained priest on 11th July 1971. Appointed Bishop Co-adjutor of Mbarara 6 Mar 1989 . Ordained Bishop on 24th June, 1989 at Mbarara. November 23rd, 1991 Succeeded Bishop of Mbarara Diocese. On January 2nd, 1999 He was Appointed Archbishop of Mbarara (former Rwenzori Vicariate comprising the dioceses of Kabale, Kasese, Fort-Portal, Hoima and Mbarara).
Contacts Cell Phone Numbers 256-752-623774//256-702-623774
Land Line 256-0485-20052
The Rt. Rev. Lambert Bainomugisha was born 12th July 1961 at Kashumba, Bukanga, Isingiro. He was ordained Priest on 13th July, 1991 at Mbarara Cathedral. On 2nd July 2005 he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop, Archdiocese of Mbarara also Titular Bishop of Tacia Montana. On 13th November, 2009 Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Apostolic Administrator “sedes plena et ad nutum Sanctae Sedis” of Hoima Diocese, until a new Bishop of Hoima was Ordained and appointed on 29 February 2016. Bishop Lambert then returned to the Archdiocese of Mbarara to fully continue his duties as Auxiliary.
c/o Archbishop’s Office
P. O. Box 184, Mbarara – Uganda